Privacy / Collection Statement
Connect People Pty Ltd (Connect People) operates within Victoria Australia, specialising in the Civil Construction recruitment market.
Protecting Your Privacy
At Connect People your privacy is important to us. We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is respected and maintained at all times. Connect People complies with the Privacy laws and the National Privacy Principles as well as our exiting obligations of confidentiality. The Privacy / Collection Statement explains how we collect personal information and how we maintain, use and disclose that information. It also provides some detail about your privacy rights along with our general rights and obligations in relation to the personal information we keep on record.
What your personal information is
Personal information is any information or an opinion (whether true or not) about you. It may range from the very sensitive (e.g. medical history or condition) to the everyday (e.g. address and phone number). It would include the opinions of others about your work performance (whether true or not), your work experience and qualifications, aptitude test results and other information obtained by us in connection with your possible work placements. Personal information includes sensitive information.
What sensitive information is
Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. It is information or opinion about your:
- Racial or ethnic origin;
- Political opinion;
- Membership of a political association or religious beliefs, affiliations or philosophical beliefs;
- Membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union;
- Sexual preferences or practices;
- Criminal record;
- Health or disability (at any time);
- Expressed wishes about the future provision of health services.
It includes personal information collected to provide a labour hire service. Sensitive information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with your consent. We do not actively seek to collect sensitive information unless it is necessary for our business purposes. If we are required to collect sensitive information we do so in accordance with the National Privacy Principles.
Who will be collecting your personal and sensitive information
Connect People will collect your personal and sensitive information for its own use and on behalf of clients who might require access to your personal and sensitive information in connection with your work placements.
If you do not give us the information we seek
- We may be limited in our ability to locate suitable work for you;
- We may be limited in our ability to place you in work.
How to contact us
If you wish to contact us about your personal or sensitive information you should contact us during business hours, 9.00 am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday. Phone: 03 9890 1133
If you need to contact us outside normal office hours, please leave a message and your call will be returned the following business day.
How your information will be collected
Personal and sensitive information will be collected from you directly when you fill out and submit one of our registration forms or any other information in connection with your application to us for registration, either in person or via our website. Personal and sensitive information will also be collected when:
- We receive any reference about you;
- We receive results of inquiries that we might make of your former employers, work colleagues, professional associations or registration body;
- We receive the results of any competency or medical test;
- We receive performance feedback (whether positive or negative);
- We receive any complaint from or about you in the workplace;
- We receive any information about a workplace accident in which you are involved;- we receive any information about any insurance investigation, litigation, registration or professional disciplinary matter, criminal matter, inquest or inquiry in which you are involved;
- You provide us with any additional information about you.
Your information will be used in connection with
- Your actual or possible work placement;
- Your performance appraisals;
- Our assessment of your ongoing performance and prospects;
- Any test or assessment (including medical tests and assessments) that you might be required to undergo;
- Our identification of your training needs;
- Any workplace rehabilitation;
- Our management of any complaint, investigation or inquiry in which you are involved;
- Any insurance claim or proposal that requires disclosure of your personal or sensitive information.
Your personal and sensitive information may be disclosed to
- Potential and actual employers and clients of Connect People as well as any nominated referees;
- Our insurers;
- A professional association or registration body that has a proper interest in the disclosure of your personal and sensitive information;
- A Workers Compensation body;
- Our contractors and suppliers;
- Any person with a lawful entitlement to obtain the information.
How does Connect People protect the security of your information
Connect People takes all reasonable steps to protect your personal information, for example, your information is stored in secured offices within the Connect People database. This database requires a log in and password to gain access and is held on a secure server, in a firewalled environment, that is in protected facilities. All employees of Connect People are bound by a confidentiality agreement regarding candidate and client and company information. All data is kept for the period required by current legislation. At the end of this period and if you no longer require us to hold your details on our database, the information is destroyed.
You can gain access to your information to correct it if it is wrong
Subject to some exceptions, which are set out in the National Privacy Principles (Principle 6 – Access and Correction), you have a right to see and have a copy of personal and sensitive information about you that we hold. If you are able to establish that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct it so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If we are unable to agree that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date, you may ask us to place with the information a statement by you that claims that particular information is not accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you wish to exercise your rights of access and correction you should contact our office, details are shown above. In some cases we may impose a moderate charge for providing access to personal or sensitive information. We will not charge you simply because you lodge a request for access.